Blog Awards

I started blogging in February of this year and am flattered to have been nominated by fellow bloggers for several awards.  Generally, the recipients of each award are asked to follow several steps, including:  visiting the award site and thanking your nominator; sharing one or two random things about yourself; select other bloggers whose writings you enjoy; and, if you want to nominate others, notify them.  I’ve gotten a bit behind and so am now catching up.  (I’m not including all the rules for all the blogs, because this post would be longer than even my long posts!  Just google the award name and you’ll find the rules.)

Random things about me:

1. My mother forced me into synchronized swimming because she thought girls shouldn’t compete.  (It wasn’t ladylike, she believed.)  During the same time, my father made me learn basic hand-to-hand combat.  (My parents really didn’t see eye to eye on parenting.)
  2. Once I turned 30, I developed a severe allergy to shellfish.  Telling myself I was allergic to only American shellfish, I almost died at not one, but two (!) crab and shrimp feasts in Norway.  I haven’t eaten shellfish (knowingly, at least) since.
  3. My favorite novels in elementary school were Bronte’s Jane Eyre and Blackmore’s Lorna Doone.  My favorite novel in middle school was Dumas’s Count of Monte Cristo.  My favorite novel in high school was Puzo’s The Godfather.  My favorite novel in college was Flaubert’s Madame Bovary.  While I still read a lot, I haven’t read a novel in two years.
  4. Today is my sister’s birthday.  I haven’t seen her in 30 years.   (It’s against her religious beliefs to have anything to do with me.)

Thank yous and my favorite blogs:  I enjoy all the blogs I regularly read (or else I wouldn’t read them), and I love finding new ones to read.  So I gladly pass the awards on to others:

I tip my hat (if I were wearing one ), to all the wonderful bloggers whose posts I am lucky to explore.  Thank you.

Karen

This entry was posted in Miscellany. Bookmark the permalink.

34 Responses to Blog Awards

1. JanF says:

True enough!

2. Pingback: Flapjacks for Al and Sunshine « I Spy with My Idiosyncratic Eye …

3. Think historically: The Church once had the power to enthrone kings; Martin Luther was a 16th century theologian and Catholic priest who disagreed with the Church doctrine and practices. He was excommunicated amd decreed an outlaw by the emperor. When the church had that much power and influence AND one lived in a Catholic region, excommunication was brutal.

4. JanF says:

I was very interested in the shunning discussion, until now I only heard about it in connection with the Amish community. Does anyone know about the Old Catholicism which was mentioned, when I researched that religion on the Internet I could find nothing about shunning? They are also affiliated now with the Anglican church which certainly doesn’t shun. Isn’t it sad when religion just divides people instead of linking them together?

5. I’m glad you enjoy my posts!

6. They only MAKE it look easy; it’s quite demanding!

7. Maryanne says:

Heeheee!!! My daughters and I watched the synchronised swimming in the Olympics and we all think those girls are superheroes!!!

8. jenyjenny says:

Thank you Karen, I look forward to your blog; you always bring new and novel ideas to savor.

9. It’s worth a read, in my humble opinion. A movie was made a few years ago about it – Guy Pearce had one of the main rolls. They really “Hollywood-ized” the book … the book is pretty dark.

10. I was officially disfellowshipped – not for any “sin” but because I called up the elder-in-charge and asked him to remove my name from the list of “inactive JWs.” I told him I didn’t live as one or define myself as one. In that conversation, he warned me that my mother and sister couldn’t have anything to do with me. If I had stayed “inactive,” my mother and sister may have been a bit more tolerant. I can only imagine your conversations with your mom. 😦

11. You’re welcome. I only recently admitted to a group of my friends that I was forced to do waterballet … they laughed until they cried! 🙂 So I figured I could share it with bloggers.

12. Other religions and groups engage in shunning: Amish, ultra-conservative Jews, Balinese, Mennonites, old Catholicism, members of the Ba’hai Faith, and members of the Church of Scientology, Singapore, and maybe Mormons (?). Shunning is particularly difficult for people who have spent their whole lives in these tight-knit religious or social groups … because once shunned, they lose their family and friends who are still part of those groups.

13. Deanne says:

Yes re: mollusks. Dragorino:) Good to know you have a lot of joy. So precious.

14. Curls & Q says:

Horrifying! All I can say is show me where Jesus says this is how you treat people!

15. No worries, thank you again. 🙂

16. Maryanne says:

Thank you for sharing your “7 things”! Other than the honour of being recognised by your fellow bloggers, its the best part!!! Congratulations 🙂

17. ordinarygood says:

Congratulations on all your awards Karen. You have achieved heaps in a few months.
    Thank you for nominating my blog for the Sunshine Blogger Award.
    We have been very short of sunshine around here for a few weeks now. Today the sun came out, just in time for the award – nice timing! Thank you again:-)

18. kiwiyarns says:

Congratulations on your awards!! You thoroughly deserve them. We share some commonality with your background, and I sympathise with you about your sister. Fortunately, my mother is more tolerant (although I was never disfellowshipped, so I guess that means she can still talk to me (sort of) even though every conversation has to end in “You know… ” sigh.

19. Thanks!! I am really laughing at number 1! I think the hobby and I are just like that lol.

And I am really considering reading the Count of Monte Cristo. Since seeing Sleepers years ago, I have heard that book mentioned at least once a month…I’m beginning to think it’s a sign… O.o

20. At least I still have no allergies to French Roast coffee and dark chocolate. 🙂

21. This is one of the first “random fact” lists that’s really had surprising, interesting facts! Having grown up in the heart of blue crab country I’m pretty sure I’d cry forever if I developed a shellfish allergy.

22. I accepted her absence from my life long ago (thanks to wonderful counselors). It took me long to accept the absence of shellfish too! Rambling?! Hey, I never thought of your blog as rambling! And sorry – I was supposed to let you know I nominated your blog, and I forgot to do that last night.

23. YES … and I stumble across some that continually amaze and delight me! (By the way, I’m a “cycling grandmother” too!)

24. Thank you for following my blog. I’ve found the blogging world chock filled with creative people whose own blogs inspire me daily. 🙂

25. After we finally settled in the U.S., my mother converted from Norwegian Lutheran (of course) to being a Jehovah’s Witness. (The family in Norway was thoroughly nonplussed.) This meant that she raised my sister and me as a JW and had us rebaptized. I was officially disfellowshipped (JW word for excommunicated) when I was in my early 20s, and the JW orthodoxy was (is?) that the those who are excommunicated (JWs called it “disfellowshipping) were to be shunned (completely), even blood. The idea behind it was to (1) force the miscreant to realize the error of his/her ways and return to “the Truth” (JW word for the JW state vs. “the World” meaning all others), and (2) keep the congregation safe/protected from the sins of the wrongdoer. (My mother and sisters were nothing if not strict adherents.) I couldn’t “return;” I didn’t believe its orthodoxy and had no desire to pretend otherwise my whole life.

26. I missed “The Agony and the Ecstasy.” But tell me, did I REALLY miss out reading it?! I’m glad you enjoy my posts. 🙂

27. I don’t react (so far, at least!) to mullusks; do you? Re my sister (my mother too – same religion), she’s been out of my life longer than she was in it. Years of counseling helped me to say “goodbye,” as it were, to them. I have a lot of joy, my own family, and good friends in my life.

28. Deanne says:

I’ve developed a recent allergy to shrimp and scallops and doc told me to stay away from all shellfish for now. Such a drag. But I agree w/ idiosyncratic eye – not seeing your sister for so long must be much more difficult.

29. ethgran says:

Per usual your personal information is pithy and somewhat self depreciating yet full of a large and fun personality. I don’t remember reading much of anything until high school at which time I embarked on “The Agony and the Ecstasy” of which I didn’t understand every other word but being half Norwegian, I made it through. A wonderful thing came from my efforts – my astigmatism became much more manageable therefore I could read even understandable books more easily.

30. Curls & Q says:

Allergic to shellfish! How sad. 8-( I”m curious as to what religion wouldn’t allow members to see family? Sadness that someone would chose that.

31. Tracey says:

Aw, sorry about your sis. But so glad your blog is being recognized. I do love it!

32. What I love about these is the chance to explore more blogs!

33. Missing out on shellfish must be hard (American or otherwise) but missing your sister must be harder. I’m very surprised to see my little blog in your nominations, especially as a rambling pessimist, but thank you very much. 🙂