A Package from New Zealand

Years ago I used to pick up old fiber magazines from antique stores.  I don’t think I paid more than $1 for any of them.  When I returned to California from the East Coast and trying to lighten my load as it were, I threw them all away because I didn’t know anyone who wanted them.  😦

Thankfully, now with the number of active textile knowing bloggers, I know I would never again have to do that!

I had shared with blogger ordinarygoodness (“OG”) my love of browsing through old fiber magazines, and when she realized I had never held a New Zealand fiber magazine in my hands … well, she was going to do something about it!  🙂

I received a package from OG who was wonderful enough to send me four 40 year old copies of Stitchcraft – all the way from New Zealand.  My local circle of knitting and crocheting enthusiasts were all excited to read these magazines.

OG didn’t want me to send them back, so I thought it might be fun to create a sort of “read and send on” lending library (except they don’t have to be returned).  My fellow bloggers at Curls & Q loved this idea, and I just sent the magazines to them!  When their local circle of textile artists are finished with them, they will send them on to another group somewhere else.

Anyone else want to contribute to this “read and send on” program?!

This entry was posted in Miscellany, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to A Package from New Zealand

1. If you want to see some old US fiber mags, give a holler and I’ll track some down for you! 🙂

2. ordinarygood says:

Reblogged this on Koru knits and crafts and commented:
    Thanks for the “shout out” about my blog and the magazines. I’m delighted that they are going far and wide and being enjoyed in America. Blogging is great!

3. Like most of us (undoubtedly),, I still have stacks of magazines … I use technology regularly but somehow, snuggling in bed to read is more enjoyable for me with a book or paper … I’m still trying to get used to using the iPad. 🙂 (Though its lighting is nice – don’t have to turn on a light and wake up Thor.)

4. I agree … but vintage or simply just old – they’re always fun to read through!

5. They should arrive any day now!

6. I love so many of the vintage patterns, but I think I’m worried that all I would need to do is don a tweed skirt and people would call me Miss Marple!

7. I always loved history classes, both in grade school and in college. But there’s something “missing” that women fill in (remember the old saying, “history is written by the victors) … and that’s sort of how I see the old textile mags!

8. Me too. I think I just love to browse through them! While I think the overall patterns are generally too dated, sometimes there are very interesting techniques or tectures I could use!

9. Sounds wonderful! Right now bloggers Curls & Q have them. I am sure they will swap … Just give them an e-buzz. 🙂

10. domesticnews says:

When I traded digital for my stash of Threads magazines, I dropped the paper copies off at the public library, but I’m pretty sure they’ll try to sell them at their annual sale, maybe not? I would have jumped at this option! Good for you/us!

11. writeknit says:

This sounds like lots of fun! I have old knitting magazines that I’ve collected over time from relatives.Sometimes a classic pattern is what I want 🙂 I’d love to join in if you create some sort of sharing cirlce!

12. That’s a lovely idea! I keep an eye out in charity shops for needles (most of them now class them as dangerous goods unfortunately) but I’ve never seen a properly vintage pattern, just old ones that were best forgetting about. It must fascinating to be able to trace the history of knitting like that though. 🙂

13. Curls & Q says:

I can’t wait! I have mom’s knitting mags from the 40’s. I too scavenge the thrift stores for pattern and magazines. A look at another era.

14. whatzitknitz says:

I have a small collection of old knitting booklets. I always wander to the area in the thrift store where old craft magazines are boxed up and buy up any thing from the 60’s or older. They are so wonderful to browse through. And now I am knitting one that I have looked at for a couple of years and wanted to try and I have picked out a second one that I would like to cast on next. The style lines are classic and wonderful-I can’t wait to wear my new old cardigan this fall.
    Having a floating library of inspiration is a great idea!

15. Tina says:

I have a tub full of vintage magazines and pattern books that I too have picked up for under a dollar, many of which come from my local thrift shops. I love them and have used a couple of patterns.

16. I love the old pattern books and always gravitate to the sale bin in the yarn stores. So I buy patterns for 25 cents to a dollar… do I use them… rarely!