Paper, Brain or Electronic?

After reading Aguajas‘s post from the other day, I opened my Vogue Knitting App to check out the stash feature discussed in the blog.  Putting my stash information into VK’s app seems as though it would take way more time than I am currently willing to spend.

I have skeins/balls/cones/hanks of yarn, rovings and notions in my stash I bought 20 years ago, and I have more knitting needles (circular and double pointed), than I have ever wanted to measure and count. I have a very long but incomplete Excel project, and I have outdated handwritten summaries in my wire bound knitting journal.

I, like Aguajas, am curious what fiber crafters use, if anything, to organize and inventory their stash.  So I made up this poll in order to get a better idea of what crafters are doing and how it works for them.  (Please feel free to post your comments down below too!)

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

34 Responses to Paper, Brain or Electronic?

1. kiwiyarns says:

I have (most of) mine on Ravelry – it makes it easier to match up to projects. But nothing beats digging around in the cubbies (it’s all in a wall unit of cubbies, just like in yarn store) and petting it for inspiration is there!? 🙂

2. summerlarson says:

Why on earth would I want to know what yarn I have in my stash? Then I would not have an excuse to go get MORE YARN!

3. Good to know! Thanks for sharing. I will take a peek at Ravulous.

4. I love that phrase: “reconnect with yarn.”

5. Tony says:

I ticked Ravelry because I try to put all my stash there but I also use the Ravulous android app which syncs automatically with my Ravelry stash and projects so I only have to do it once. Genius! Also with the Ravulous app, now I can take photos on my phone and upload them straight into Ravelry.

Then when I use the stash yarn when I start on a project, the stash amounts get updated on Ravelry and the app automatically. I couldn’t possibly remember to do it on an app and Ravelry separately.

6. streepie says:

When we moved to France and needed new furniture for a rather smallish house, we decided to get a raised bed with 4 huge drawers underneath (thanks, IKEA). My stash just about fits into one of those drawers.

7. ethgran says:

I have no system whatsoever but every once in a while I re-organize my stash and needles and re-connect with yarn that I had forgotten about. Some of my more precious yarns sit there waiting for just the right project – they are permanently etched into my brain.

8. I just wanted to ensure I had enough insurance … when I calculated the replacement cost of all my fiber arts equipment & related items, I winced!

9. jenyjenny says:

Uhhh–insurance purposes? uh oh, haven’t thought about that…

10. Not yours, Agujas. It got me thinking about the chaos that was my knitting life (well the whole life is but the knitting sector was more manageable and achievable). No time at all to enter the stash, it took more time to take the photos! (Camera haaaates fluffy yarns). 😉 It was very efficient and I like it. I’m on Ravelry under the same name. 🙂

11. Good thinking! Or just get rid of the sofa & dining table in the living room … sounds like a joke but we have actually discussed it in order to make more room for rehearsing 😉

12. I have found that my stash is inspiring. On days I need cheering up, I can make myself a cup of French Roast, put on a nice CD and happily root around my stash sites (yes, that’s plural), for hours. (Besides, I’m of the opinion that guilt is like paying interest on a debt never incurred. 🙂 )

13. I keep telling myself I’m too busy to inventory my stash. That may be just an excuse. I don’t think I need to track my needles because by now I think I have them all. 🙂

14. I have both an iPhone and an iPad and have a couple of knitting apps, but the stashing functions took more time than I was willing to spend. (At one point I went through my stash and photographed yarn but it was for the purposes of determining necessary insurance coverage. I now have a LOT of pictures of yarn in the Cloud.)

15. A woman after my own heart! We share the same “tried-and-true” method!!!! When my daughter was young, we decorated a box for “her” yarn … and I stored all my non-good stuff in that one to root around whenever she wanted. My grandchildren have always gone for the cones I leave out holding the remains of weaving yarn. (The fuller cones I keep out of their reach.)

16. Oh dear … I didn’t mean to negatively impact anyone! Did it take long for you to enter your stash in Ravelry? I moved to an iPhone almost a year ago and found it more useful than I could begin to describe! My son-in-law has a Droid but is moving to an iPhone.

17. Interesting – and efficient! I think I feel as though I have to touch and stroke the yarn first, then patterns and ideas start taking shape in my bed, and then I reach for my knitting notebook and start jotting down ideas. Let me know how the interchangeables work and which set you get. (I’ve seen some PRICEY sets.)

18. Two words for you: Loft bed. After a friend of mine built me this bed, I wondered why we don’t all use loft beds. So much more room to store yarn stash!

19. I think you pointed to part of the “problem” with my stash inventory … my yarn stash goes WAY back! I have some yarn I distinctly remember buying when my daughter was 5 and we were staying in Norway for a while! She’s now in her 30s so that yarn is older than 20 years. (It has held up well, too!)

20. I’m impressed! That suggests an organizational ability with fiber that I just don’t have. I have never done a yarn-house-cleaning, but on cold rainy days I love to spend the day rooting through my considerable stash, reorganizing, and planning. 🙂

21. Much of my stash is in many large plastic “tubs” with locked lids that I keep under a loft bed. That’s only one of my stash places. 🙂

22. I have started using Ravelry for my stash but find it time consuming to photograph and list each item. So I still rely on my memory for a complete inventory but I did find a number of yarns I had forgotten about when I moved! Yeah! I do also have both a smart phone and an iPad but have not tested any of the knitting apps so far! Great post and poll, by the way!

23. I mostly rely on my memory or use the tried-and-true method of pulling out a bin and tossing it for a bit. I keep meaning to track my stash on Ravelry, but it usually falls by the wayside. Maybe this winter.

Your post made me think that I really do need to keep better track of what I have. My daughter is now knitting/crocheting/crafting with yarn, and I’d hate to see my “good stuff” end up as a popsicle-stick God’s Eye. 🙂

24. I didn’t know that! Thanks for sharing. 🙂

25. That post had a bad effect on me. I entered my stash into Ravlery and have sorted through all my patterns and will slowly add them to a database. My phone isn’t smart enough for that kind of thing. 🙂

26. jenyjenny says:

Before reading your post, I did not realize there are so many options. I put my yarn stash into a spreadsheet not very long ago and it has opened up my decision making process. Before, I would see a pattern I liked, spend a chunk of time going through the stash, and then be disappointed because I didn’t have what I needed. Now I can just look in the column for “amount,” see if I have yarn in the recommended weight, and then decide whether I want to make that item in green tweed or orange supima cotton, etc. Last week I decided to add a page of needles, to see if buying a set of interchangeable circular needles would be cost effective or just duplicate what I already have. I found that most of my circular needles are 16″ and I have very few that are over 20.” Good info to have if I’m going to spend $60 on a set of interchangeables in lengths of 20″ to 40.”

27. I wish my stash was big enough that I could lose track of it! My apartment is so small that there is no room for hiding away miles of yarn, sadly.

28. streepie says:

I also (very recently) made use of Ravelry stash feature. One morning, and it was done. But then, I do not have 20 years worth of yarn…. One can download the stash info as an excel file, which is a plus…

29. I get so lazy when it comes to updating my stash. Other times its because of guilt I don’t like to remember because I know I have way more yarn then I will ever have time to knit with!

30. remilyknits says:

It took some doing, but I have all my stash on Ravelry. I try to clean house (yarnwise, anyway) once or twice a year — go through Rav and my stash and make sure everything still matches. I take it as an opportunity to remove unloved yarn from stash, also.

31. Mary Jane says:

I’ll be interested to see the results of the poll. I adore Ravelry, but can’t envision using it as a repository for personal information I want to track….life is so uncertain! I do track my needles there — beginning a long while ago when I didn’t have very many.

32. Northern Narratives says:

My stash sits in six bags in the closet.

33. From what I can tell, a fair number of folks tend to use Ravelry’s stash section. I think if I were motivated to keep better track, I’d keep it in a database of my own, though. 🙂

34. thornberry says:

I ticked database, but it’s Ravelry. I keep most of my stash information there.