Swatching in an Unusually Warm San Francisco

We just experienced the year’s record heat in SF: 91F/38C! Thor and I took a (very) long walk along the Marina beach to Fort Point (built 1853-1861) built beneath the Golden Gate. (We took this picture with our backs toward the fort and the Golden Gate Bridge, so we’re looking west.)

The heat, of course, doesn’t prevent a fiber addict from picking up her tools and a handful of yarn. I popped Artfibers – my favorite yarn store in San Francisco) – that spins, blends and dyes their yarns in the U.S. I played with Kyoto: 69% silk, 25% super kid mohair and 6 extra fine merino. And the colors – wow! Silk, mohair and merino all pick up colors differently. Plied together and then dyed as one yarn means the resultant color shimmers with different hues, depths and tons. (The picture to the left can’t do it justice.)

Of course I just had to swatch it and knit a swatch but changed needle sizes to get a feel for how the yarn works at different gauges. (Maker recommended 8 stitches/22 rows for 4 inches on a US #10/6 mm.)

I loved the gauge swatch. Hopefully the picture at the right gives you some picture of the beauty of Kyoto. Underneath it is my WIP of Linda Marveng’s Dew Drop Shawl Jacket. I am knitting Dew Drop out of a Merino/silk blend, but that yarn looks positively lifeless compared to Kyoto. I was already to frag the jacket and reknit with Kyoto.

Before I started ripping out rows, I pulled out my iPhone and opened my app YarnPro to see if I could easily use it for the Dew Drop Shawl jacket. Nope. But I did bring the swatch home to show Thor. He instantly loved it – both the yarn and the color, so it looks as though I will get to use Kyoto after all! (I will just borrow his sweater a lot.)

By the way, take a look at this beautiful Short Row Poncho, an Artfibers design (pattern available). This sample used an array of miscellaneous yarns. I thought it one of the nicest poncho designs I have seen lately.

This entry was posted in Crocheting, Dyeing, Fibers, Knitting and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to Swatching in an Unusually Warm San Francisco

1. That’s right! And not only can you swatch at a couple of very large tables set out, surrounded by chairs before you buy BUT if the color you want to swatch in isn’t on a swatching cone, they will make a cone to swatch from – right then and there! I saw a red in the Kyoto basket, and now I want to go back and swatch in the red. 🙂

2. Thor is trying to convince himself that the blue Kyoto would be great for a sweater for him. I’m not DIScouraging him, as I don’t think he’d wear it much (the color, I think, would be too feminine for his taste), but I’d wear it! 🙂

3. kiwiyarns says:

Am I right in understanding that you can swatch before you buy? What a great idea! Those colours are very beautiful. The mix is similar to a NZ wool/silk/mohair blend I absolutely love.

4. I just keep looking at the beautiful yarns in your photos. Lol! Love that blue!

5. It has to be hot enough that my hands sweat before the heat wins and I put down my needles!

6. And the picture doesn’t do it justice!

7. One of the great things about Artfibers is you purchase by the yard – so you don’t have to buy more than you want/need.

8. Connie says:

A place to visit when I come to San Francisco in early December!!! (I need to save up beforehand, I think). Will only have a day, though, as I am mainly there for a scientific meeting at Palm Grove.

9. I have been to that yarn store before! They indeed have very beautiful yarn, I will have to pick up some of the Kyoto you mentioned next time I’m in the city. And I agree, it has been so blasted hot lately, 100 degrees in the valley, I’m so tired of the heat. It gives me 0% motivation to knit or do anything!

10. Man, that blue yarn is gorgeous!

11. Yes, but it’s so rare that you have to worry about good sun hats and SPF here! 🙂

12. Thanks for the heads up! I just fixed the Artfibers link problem. (Mea culpa). I am sure you will love Artfibers!! Be sure and check out Kyoto!

13. domesticnews says:

I will search for it, but check your ArtFibers link? I’m coming to SF & appreciate the reference! 🙂

14. Ouch. That’s hot. I love San Francisco. 🙂

15. Oh, I am so pleased to hear that you are halfway and that you will post pictures! I will post about YarnPro soon – I love using it!

16. The yarn is exquisite! SF has just a few hot days a year so when they come everyone gripes! (If you visit, September and October are the best months.)

17. I finished the sleeves and am halfway through the jacket. I cant’t wait to wear it. When it’s done I will have my daughter model it for pictures to post!

18. It is absolutely beautiful. Artfibers sells by the yard, so it’s easy to buy just a little and try it out.

19. Oh yes … I may go back and try a swatch from the red! 🙂

20. We actually thought about that name but it’s for crocheters too! I hope you like it. I use it daily!

21. The pictures couldn’t do the yarn justice … It is sooo beautiful. 🙂

22. marjorie says:

Beautiful yarn and stitch. Love your details about the dyeing!

23. caityrosey says:

Arghh It’s called YARNPro not KNITPro. That explains why I couldn’t find it when I searched. Gahhh!

24. Tracey says:

The color of that yarn is really beautiful. Very on-trend too. Nice.

25. minaandme says:

That Kyoto really looks pretty with the light hitting it in the swatch picture! Absolutely beautiful color too. It must be a treat to work with 🙂
    ~Lacey

26. Kyoto sounds – fab fibre mix – and looks like an amazing yarn! I love seeing the progress on the Dew Drop Shawl Jacket and Marina beach! Your YarnPro is ever so handy!

27. Lisa says:

That Yarn you used for your swatch is beautiful! I bet it feels luxurious! I’m jealous you live in San Francisco, I would love to visit your city sometime!