On the first day, I had to rip out my knitting, deconstruct the instructions for the first section and type them out in row-by-row instructions. Then back to the needles
The second day, accompanied by teeth gnashing and, shall we say, colorful exclamations, I again unraveled my knitting. This time I went farther and drew out the pattern for the first couple of sets of instructions. This allowed me to see where the pattern instructions were missing an instruction or two (or more).
Ultimately, I realized the whole pattern was a mess. In order to avoid the frustration associated with continually ripping out sections, I created the triumvirate of patterns: (1) I graphed out the whole garment; (2) I wrote new line-by-line instructions; and (3) I set out the pattern in the sort of table-column format of the old Norwegian patterns my grandmother used. (Yes, this is probably a bit of overkill.)
Here it is. You can probably see that the garment – all garter stitch – is shaped by a series of short rows. It should have been a quick knit, but, because of the instructions with the pattern instructions, this little garter stitch gilet took me about two weeks.
I added a buttonhole. Oddly the pattern – perhaps the designers thought it would be easier – has no buttonhole but calls for some sort of silly press-on button/snap device.
I knew the size 6 would be too wide for granddaughter F. (The children in our family tend to be long and thin.) I employed some of the tricks of our knitting foremothers so the garment can be worn longer. In this case, after I finished the gilet, I “took it in” by making a double seam at the sides and by adding a false seam down the back. Next year I will simply take out the false and secondary seams.
I had enough yarn to knit (top down) a skirt knit to match (with in an enclosed 3/4 inch elastic in the waistband). I still had almost a full 50 grams of yarn leftover. When the time comes that granddaughter F needs more length, I only have to remove the cast off row at the bottom one inch row of garter stitch, pick up the loops and knit several more rows.
I wrote Bergère de France (listed as pattern designer), both to inform the company the pattern was poorly written and ask if I had permission to post my re-writes. l knew, of course, that the answer to the posting question would be no – and I wasn’t wrong. Here’s the rest of its response: I’m sorry to read your feelings about our instructions. However, please be assured that we take great care when writing the instructions, and they are translated and rewritten by English-speaking knitters.
Bergère de France missed the point: Being a bilingual knitter does not mean the person can construct good pattern instructions – as the gilet pattern so amply proves. Sadly.