Summertime

I can’t think of summer without remembering all those hours and hours in my childhood picking, washing, sorting and canning fruits.

CanningClearly old habits are hard to break. 🙂

This pictures what I did over the last two days: three different batches of pickles, two different batches of peach preserves and a batch of what I call “stone fruit preserves.” (Stone fruit: peaches, apricots, plums, pluots and nectarines – using a combination of whatever seasonal stone fruit I find at the farmer’s markets at a good price.)

My mother always made us can at the hottest part of the day. It made sense in her mind: the cooler part of the hot summer days, my mother (a devout-to-the-point-of-insane Jehovah’s Witness) made us go door to door selling the Watchtower and Awake. So from noon to 4 you would find us sitting outside in the oppressive heat, sweat dripping, hair matted, knives slipping, skin sticky from fruit juices …

kuhnWhen I can by myself, however, I have so much fun! I pick the coolest part of the day and listen to music I sing along with or dance to as I move around the kitchen. Periodically I emerge from the kitchen to show Thor a jar of particularly beautiful jewel-like colored jam or preserves!

My habit has been to can vast quantities of fruits and vegetables over a period of days, but I recently read Melanie McClellan’s Why Small Batch Canning is Awsome.

I decided I simply must have a Kuhn Rikon 4th Burner Pot! It seems perfect to use to can a jar or two of leftover fruits!

Has anyone used a pot like this?

This entry was posted in Cooking and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Summertime

1. Yes, lugging out the big water bath canner can be a big production! I seem to spill water everywhere!

2. I have never canned spaghetti sauce, but I would love to try! I’ve made jelly before but too much sugar now at my age. 🙂

3. I love making jam so I can enjoy summer fruit all year round. I have an enormous water bath canner which is really too big for my electric burner range. Based on Marisa McClellan’s blog, this year I’m doing small batch jams (less sugar, longer cooking) and processing them in a large pot with a silicone trivet at the bottom. My pot is just barely tall enough to have the requisite 1 inch of water above the jars, but it works.

4. cleo14 says:

You’re preserves are looking great! When I was little my mother would stay up late at night (at least it seemed late) and make her own spaghetti sauce. My Gram would make blueberry and grape jelly. I make have to look into this…

5. tgonzales says:

🙂 I remember those well. My Mom doesn’t do any canning anymore, but I did love opening those large cabinets with all her vegetables and fruit lined up in them. Thanks for bringing back those memories too 🙂

6. You’re welcome. There is a distinct feeling of satisfaction to look at shelves filled with home canned produce!

7. My mother HATED cooking (took time away from her service to god), but being raised in a rural community during WWII, she didn’t like to see any fruit on our trees go to waste … so we canned a LOT! 🙂

8. Oh they are … if you have any friends who do a lot of canning, see if you can’t try some. It is not even possible to compare, for instance, homemade jam to store bought! And the pickles! Oh, even though it was my first attempt at pickles, they are far better than any store bought pickles – even the pricey ones!

9. I thought so too! I would love to try it. Today I picked up a single (but not too small) box of Italian plums – the ones used for prunes. I love those plums (not too sweet), but do not come across them too often. I have just enough to make a pint or pint and a half of jam (if only I had that pot!). 🙂

10. So true … I didn’t grow any of the fruits & veges I canned … it’s the harvest I could get at nearby farmer’s markets overflowing with summer’s bounty!

11. And people who have tasted them say they taste good too! 🙂

12. Lisa says:

The fruits of your labor look awesome!!!!

13. Mmm, yummy. I haven’t canned much over the years – hard to grow more than you can eat at once when you’re limited to container gardens. I foresee a lot more canning and preserving now that I have proper garden space though!

14. jenyjenny says:

The little pot looks interesting! I haven’t done any home canning for a couple of years…fruit sounds nice right now.

15. My Mother struggled with toast. Thank God she didn’t attempt anything like this.
    Home made preserves must be delicious!!! Yum!

16. jengolightly says:

My mother didnt like cooking at all! Your jars make my mouth water! Lovely!

17. tgonzales says:

I remember helping my Mother can vegetables and fruits. Thanks for bringing back sweaty and sweet memories. Hugs, Tamara