On the Needles

I recently read a blog post by a knitter who routinely shares the status of both her projects and books she is reading.  She always ends with “So what’s on your needles?  What are you reading?”

MilaneseHere’s what’s on my needles:

I am on the home stretch of Linda Marveng’s Milanese Shawl.   (The pattern is available both in her book TO RETT EN VRANG and at Ravelry.)

I am using Anzula’s ”Cloud” (100g=575y/525m).  It is hand-dyed 80% superwash merino, 10% cashmere and 10% nylon.   Every time I knit this in public, at least two people come up to oooh and aaah over the pattern and yarn.  The other evening knitting in the quiet of the kitchen, Thor came in and, seeing the wrap draped over a shoulder and my chest, stopped and said, “Wow, it’s stunning!”  (Kudos to Linda Marveng!)

Here’s what I’m reading:

Maps and guides to the city of Portland, Oregon.  Thor and I are busy packing up getting ready to move north.  Recently we drove up for a quick trip to locate a place to live (temporarily), and I got to be a pretty good navigator. (Honest translation:  I sat in the passenger seat with my iPad on my lap and learned how to use the iMap feature.)

PortlandiaNow, using Netflix, we’re working our way through the episodes of a show called Portlandia.

Oh dear.  Someone please tell me the show exaggerates … a lot!

This entry was posted in Fibers, Knitting, Miscellany and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to On the Needles

1. I prefer the term “silver.” 🙂

2. My camera shot really doesn’t capture the beauty of the shawl pattern … hopefully pictures on Ravelry will do a better job! 🙂

3. We’ve been tracking the weather in Portland over the last couple of weeks … far cooler than San Francisco! I see it as more excuses to knit woolens! 🙂

Sent from my iPad

4. needleandspindle says:

As a very young woman I travelled through Portland on my way to Vancouver…it was a delightful place as I remember and I imagine the climate will be much more conducive to knitting than San Francisco. May the move be smooth and exciting.

5. starproms says:

The shawl is beautiful. I’m now going to take a look at the pattern on Ravelry 🙂

6. musingrunner says:

I am headed that way myself, graying fast, that is.

7. Yes – there is something about hand-dyed yarn … 🙂

8. That pattern looks like a lot of fun to knit, and the color is gorgeous!

9. Thank you! It is going on my calendar!

10. Me too … 🙂 And add to that long silver hair. :/

11. musingrunner says:

Gorgeous shawl, and I love Portlandia. I would love to live in a city where all the ‘hot girls’ wear glasses!

12. The SF Bay Area seems to have no time that is not “rush hour.” It has gotten beyond awful. I look forward to seeing the vest!

13. I can only hope it exaggerates a lot! 🙂 I look forward to exploring the fiber world in the Portland area.

14. Thanks! The worst thing we’ve heard about PDX is the rain. I lived in Eugene, OR, for several years, and I didn’t mind the rain. (Perhaps the childhood years in Norway prepared me!)

15. Not too sad. I’ll return regularly for visits!

16. A great pattern plus great yarn … 🙂

17. ethgran says:

I agree – stunning shawl! Just visited San Francisco on a ‘childhood memories’ trip back to see Redwoods and Yosemite (closed – grrrr) and it was crazy to drive through after eating at Grotto #9 – rush hour on Saturday? Portland sounds like a good change to me. I read Henning Mankell’s “The Man from Beijing” while on the trip and got less than the front done on my boy’s vest for my grandson in gorgeous Fall colors of Araucania merino wool called Panguipulli. That’s what happens when I keep frogging my work.

18. knitnkwilt says:

It exaggerates, but a lot??? It also has a lot of in jokes that even after two years I do not get. My favorite was when the couple went door to door in Seattle asking people if they had accepted Portland into their hearts.
    Lots of yarn shops and knit groups.

19. whatzitknitz says:

You will miss San Francisco but I hear Portland is a fun town too. Enjoying exploring your new home.

20. jenyjenny says:

Beautiful. Portland? Looking forward to stories and pics! Seriously, you must be sad to be leaving San Francisco…

21. Your shawl looks stunning, Karen! I so look forward to seeing it finished! Thank you so much for the complement and link!