While the Cat’s Away …

If you’re an American, you’d probably end that sentence fragment with “the mice will play.”  If you’re Norwegian, you might end that sentence fragment with “muser skal danse på bordet” (mice will dance on the table).  If you’re Karen … Erasepic6

While Thor’s been away, I’ve been cataloguing my fiber stash (and various fiber-related sundries) that has been accruing, well, for many (many) years. I checked each type of yarn, weighed and calculated length for each before re-storing them.  I kept Publisher open on my iPad as I did this and created a three page inventory of my yarn stash.   With a little maneuvering (and a lot of pushing), everything fit into two 35 gallon containers.  The containers look a little odd next to my old rocking chair, but at least my stash is safe.

Some of the treasures I found rediscovered include …

* a petit point project my daughter worked on the summer we spent in Norway when she was 5 years old.  (I think I should find some matching yarn and teach my granddaughter the stitch and she can finish it.

* an array of handarbeider (handworks) that I made under my grandmother’s tutelage during Flekkefjord’s long summer evenings.  I need only sew them into pillow covers or eraseturn into wall hangings.

* 20 skeins of Rauma “Fin Ull Garn” purchased in a Norwegian shop and still resting safely in its original bag.

* a red alpaca cabled sweater I knit some 20 years ago and then decided I didn’t like the cables with the yarn and lost interest about half way through the unraveling.

* almost 700 grams of Jamieson & Smith’s 2-ply.  I was thrilled to find this as the Laureya Cardigan designed by Lauretta Robertson and seen in A Legacy of Shetland Lace {Shetland Guild of Spinners, Knitters, Weavers and Dyers} had caught my eye!

ErasePic7* a bag of camel down, waiting to be spun.

* a bag of amazing buttons collected over the years.  Here’s a picture of some of my buttons.  As you can see, I have a fondness for pewter buttons.  🙂  (Button collecting is much easier to do than collecting yarn while traveling!)

What does your stash look like?

I hope I am not the only person that discovers she has a stash in which she has yarn goes back 25 years or more.   I’m not a hoarder; I just have a lot of fiber-related stuff!   🙂

This entry was posted in Fibers, Miscellany and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to While the Cat’s Away …

1. Do you have to hand wash the garments with the hand painted enamel buttons to avoid damage?

2. Marilyn says:

I have some hand-painted enamel buttons that I bought in Japan over 40 years ago that I love too much to put on anything. They have gold rims! So glad you also keep buttons.

3. salpal1 says:

Knitting magaznes. Oh, now that is a black hole in my craft room. 🙂

4. Baby blanket, shawl, poncho … 🙂

5. How nice that you have your grandmother’s needles! What a treasure for you! I find not only going through the yarn stash a great way to spend a rainy afternoon but going through stacks of fiber magazines too!

6. When I was young I was more involved in sewing than knitting … I remember having a large stash of fabric too and, especially, of buttons! I always cut buttons off old clothes and couldn’t seem to throw any buttons away! Seven years is already a while … maybe give knitting another 10 years or so and THEN compare your yarn stash to what it is now. 🙂

7. I’ve only been knitting 7 years or so, and I’m determined to NOT gather a stash of yarn because my fabric stash resembles your yarn stash…last year I tried so valiantly to destash the fabric, but there are so many memories attached…that’s my problem. I get sentimental over fabric. Sounds like you’ve got good memories attached to your yarn stash too!!

8. Ahhh, we fiber artists treasure our treasures. 🙂 >

9. tgonzales says:

Oh yes Karen you are not the only one who has a stash of yarn dating back to who knows when. I found some of it when I was cleaning a section of our garage. I don’t even remember when I got it or anything, anyway maybe I will be able to make a baby blanket from it some day, who knows. I loved hearing about all your finds. Hugs, Tamara

10. 🙂 ah, now that tells a story!

11. salpal1 says:

Wow – great job sorting and cataloguing. I have mine tucked away neatly, but it does need sorting again. I always say I will get it onto Ravelry, but the best I have done so far is group it by color in bins. I do have my grandmother’s knitting needles (short, straight aluminum Susan Bates, the whole batch) and her needle case, but no yarn! Not sure she was a yarn collector. My Mom’s cousin was, I am sure I have mentioned, I inherited a huge amount of yarn from her, and spread the wealth throughout the family. But I still have a whole closet full. I wonder what I will find if I go sorting again?

12. needleandspindle says:

You are in good company Karen, I have some stash from my mum’s stash when she first taught me to knit as a kid. I have stash from my neighbour’s grandmother! It still fits under a table so we are ok.

13. starproms says:

I have those often too. Why don’t we remember what we have better?

14. Wow, you have more yarn than I do – I’m either horrified or impressed! 🙂

Sent from my iPad

15. kiwiyarns says:

Hmm. I think I have more yarn than you. 🙂 My Ravelry stash page is a great place to catalogue my yarns. It’s also great when I’m trying to match a yarn to a project – you can match your queued project to stash yarn using it without having to manually compare. Very helpful!

16. slippedstitches says:

Yes, I am working to make it look unified and at the same time realize that two different hands over the century have carried the work on.

17. Are you going to finish the crewel/embroidery projects? I like the idea of an trans-generational project. 🙂

18. Yes, it is nice … a lot of “Oh, I’d forgotten about that” moments! 🙂

19. That’s not to say it was easy! I had to do suck a lot of air out of zippered bags, shove in with all my might, and then put a heavy weight on the lid until it stopped popping open! 🙂 >

20. that’s a really good idea, I didn’t think of that one.. Might be a good idea for my sister’s Christmas present from my mam! Pretty sure it’s acrylic, and snow white, but she/I could probably knit a striped hat from it at least.

21. Sounds amazing that you fitted your impressive stash into 2 containers. Well done.

22. starproms says:

I do have some things from my mother and my Oma, but none of my own stuff goes back too far. Your stash is now nice and tidy and you’ve seen it all recently so you’ve refreshed your memory as to what you have. Lovely looking back, isn’t it.

23. slippedstitches says:

You are not alone. I have crochet thread and projects that go back to my great-grandmother protectively stashed away. In fact most of my crochet hooks are hers. I also have embroidery floss from my great grandmother and a number of unfinished crewel / embroidery projects.

24. Well, it is spring – and cleaning out the yarn stash is so much more fun than house cleaning! 🙂 Depending on the fiber, sometimes the lanolin, when very old, gets sort of stiff and sticky. Then I have to wash, reskein and ball it before knitting a gauge swatch.

25. If the christening sweater is not going to be finished, I’d unravel it, add it to the unknit stashed yarn, and then, depending on the color and fiber content, dye and reknit into a hat, gloves, or scarf!

26. I’ve only been knitting since last August, so my stash is pretty much all new, EXCEPT a Christening cardigan my mam was making for my little sister (who’s now 11). I’m not really sure what to do with the leftover yarn from it.

27. jengolightly says:

That is very impressive! I have lots of wool but none older than 10 years in my possession.

I have listed mine on a bit of paper somewhere, last year, so that needs updating! I am feeling inspired and motivated!