Do You Really Want That Cup of Coffee?

Remembering all the students who came to my classes or office hours clutching large cups of coffee (a term I use loosely as any smell of coffee was overshadowed by the scents of chocolate and carmel and the drinks were frequently topped with inches of whipped cream and liberally drizzled chocolate syrup), I found this post very interesting!

Larry's Critique

A friend of mine recently told me that she and her family were spending $60 per week at a coffee house. (It is a popular company, and I see no reason to actually comment on the company.  But let’s just say it rhymes with, ummm, car trucks.) That $60 per week equates to $8.57 per day (7 days per week) or $12 per day (if we assume they spent the money over five days per week). When someone tells me how much they are spending per day, I always extend the numbers out to a year. In this case if we assume a 52 week year, the expense grows to $3,120 per year. I was further told that my friend had been buying coffee in this manner for approximately 10 years.

This scenario provides a great financial planning exercise.

First, I would ask what are the “opportunity costs”

View original post 541 more words

This entry was posted in Miscellany. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Do You Really Want That Cup of Coffee?

1. Gas, utilities, vacation, rent … 🙂

2. Now that’s strength and self-control! 🙂

3. salpal1 says:

PS Today I drove right past a yarn store that is having a 20% off sale. Twice. Can you believe it? It took great fortitude, especially the second time, when I knew it was there.

4. salpal1 says:

lol I am not sure raising sheep would save money – although, we could eat the extra animals, and we wouldn’t need to cut the grass… but then I think about all the different breeds, and silk worms for those blends, and it begins to boggle the mind. 🙂 I’ll just keep making my coffee at home and buying yarn.

5. Smart thinking! My daughter has something like that, and I was surprised how good the coffee tasted!

6. Well, perhaps we yarn folks would save money if we raised and sheared sheep to spin to knit and weave? 🙂

7. I have a stove top espresso pot and a French Press, so I feel pretty spoiled by my coffee at home, 🙂

8. heatherinsf says:

Yup, this is why I bought a Nespresso Pixie for myself at home, paid for itself in under a year and the capsules are $0.60/cup. Then I got a commercial version for the staff at work, and buy a nice bottle of Torani caramel syrup for caramel lattes, and a few holiday flavors like pumpkin spice.

9. salpal1 says:

It is amazing the things we do without thinking long term (like times 52 or 365) isn’t; it? And to Susan – all I can think of is YARN MONEY! I wonder what I Do that is costing me thousands of doallrs and I haven’t figured itout yet? At least I make my coffee at home….

10. tgonzales says:

Wow. That is unbelievable, but I know it’s true. Can you imagine how much yarn we could have bought with that much money? I wait and have a cup of coffee when I get to work and it’s paid for. Just a little perk (pun intended) of my job. 🙂 Love and Hugs, Tamara

11. Susan says: