KIP

Yesterday, June 13, was World Wide Knit in Public Day.  Begun 10 years ago by Danielle Landes, its purpose is to help create a community of knitters by publicly introducing oneself as a knitter.  I only heard about KIP a few days ago, though my whole life I’ve knit in public.  If it helps other knitters “come out,” as it were, however, I was willing to give KIP a try.

The problem was that I had nothing on my needles that would be good for knitting in public; lately I’ve been immersed in dyeing and weaving projects.   But that’s what stashes SockYarnTealare for.  But what to knit?  Socks!  I reached for a lovely teal skein of John Q Earth Wear (100g/361m, 85% recycled possum merino blend, 15% nylon) sent to me by Wei S. Leong of Kiwiyarns Knits.  (To read about possum yarns of New Zealand, see her post or about possum yarn more generally, see mine.)

I had long had my eyes on Wei Leong’s sock pattern Seadragonus anLeongSocksd thought Earth Wear would showcase it beautifully.  Problem:  I come Feetfrom a family of women with long (long) feet. I have never been able to knit a pair of socks out of a 100g skein of sock yarn that would fit me.  I have to buy 3 skeins and knit 2 pairs – one for me and one for my equally long-footed daughter.  Even Granddaughter F’s once dainty little feet (pic from 3 years ago, my foot on the left, her foot on the right) are now now nearly as big as her older brother’s feet.

So what to do?  I decided on a pair ankle socks.  I took some foot measurements, knit a gauge swatch, and jotted down my calculations for a pair of socks.  In order to give my socks a little pizzazz, I decided to use a provisional cast on and then knit on a ruffle.

SockKnitting2Thor and I walked to the nearest cafe and I started to knit. No one showed any interest in my knitting, so walked to another public place: Costco (with its Saturday mob scene).  We sat at the Costco lunch tables, and I again pulled out my knitting.  A few children SockKnitting3looked curiously my way, but other than that, my knitting sparked no interest.  As Costco isn’t exactly conducive to a relaxing knitting session, after knitting a few inches, we walked home where I continued to knit in peace and comfort.

SockKnitting8By the end of Knit in Public Day, the first sock was well on its way to completion.

SockKnittingI pulled out the provisional cast on and knit on the ruffle so I could show how a simple sock – in great yarn – sets it off.  (I just may have to knit more ruffled pairs for the other long-footed females in my life!)

While the Knit in Public part of the day wasn’t exactly exciting, it was wonderful – after a several month hiatus – to have needles back in my hands!  (By the way, you know what they say about women with long feet, right?  They have more understanding!  Get it?!)

This entry was posted in Knit in Public Day, Knitting and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to KIP

1. mj zorn says:

Found your blog while doing research for WWKiP Day! We will be holding our fourth annual event next Thursday, June 16 in Brenham, TX. We have it at a luncheon-type restaurant and it always draws a few knitters that we haven’t met. Perhaps more eating than knitting….!

2. I love the ruffle – gives a bit of spice to a plain sock. I am nearly done with sock #2.

____________________ Sent from my iPhone

3. FogKnits says:

I kinda want a pair of ruffly socks now! :O

4. I’m glad I’m not the only knitter who wasn’t into the spirit of the day. 🙂

5. Oh no, KIP day totally passed me by! At least you were out flying the flag for knitters everywhere… Although it sounds like maybe knitting in public isn’t the oddity it once was! Enjoy your super new socks 🙂

6. salpal1 says:

Knitting and crocheting should not hurt us! Glad you are well again.

7. Maybe planning an “event” around KIP works better. 🙂 Yes, I am thrilled to be knitting again … I took two months off after hurting my right wrist from my granny square crocheting marathon.

8. You’re right; that’s a good place indeed! Also in airports. 🙂

9. Have you mastered covering a dumbfounded look?! 🙂

10. I seemed to have beguiled only (well, MAYBE) a little girl at Costco who was watching me. My siren powers must be waning.

11. I read some posts where KIP day was a big to do for many people … that made me grin, especially in comparison to mine! 🙂

12. Well, that SHOULD count … 🙂

13. Libby says:

Oh I forgot! Not that I have anything on the go at the moment as I have been weaving, but I have a project in mind which I could have started – though probably my day would have been as uneventful as yours!

14. Rebecca says:

Ooo, you sound like a knitting siren enticing mortals (the non knitters of course) to dash themselves upon the knitted rocks. Perhaps we only have the power to beguile other knitters?

15. Susan says:

haha The ‘best’ NOT is when you are spinning and the Public asks if you are weaving 😦

16. ethgran says:

My favorite place to knit in public is at the doctor’s office where others often comment. Usually, they ask me what I am doing or what I am crocheting. >,< Under standing – never heard that one before. ;o}

17. salpal1 says:

lol – love the joke. I get it. 🙂

Sorry that it was an uneventful knit in public day for you – but glad you got some needles in hand, and socks well underway. I also knit in public all the time, but FORGOT to do so yesterday! Jeesh.

18. The sock is looking good. So funny you went out to knit in public, good on you. I had no idea it was a global knit in public day. I actually sat waiting at the doctors yesterday with my daughter and crocheted a couple of granny squares 🙂