One More Week …

… until I can knit or weave again.  <Sigh>  Nonetheless, I’ve been keeping myself busy by baking bread.

KitchenAidPicI have the 7 quart KitchenAid Pro Line Stand Mixer (thank you Thor!), and, thanks to its powerful motor and curly-q dough hook, my fingers, hands and wrists are saved a lot of stress that would occur from hand kneading.

The newest bread that I’m experimenting with is Leinsamenbrot – a German flax seed bread.  As told me by a GerBreadLeinsamenbrotman ex-colleague of mine, her mother practically lived on this bread, and after sampling several versions of Leinsamenbrot, I can see why!  Wow.  I used dark rye flour (I am partial to dark rye) and tried it first with dark flax seeds and then later with golden flax seeds, with and without sesame seeds sprinkled on the top of the loaf.  (I prefer the dark flax seeds and no sesame seeds.)

BreadChallahThor had a birthday recently, so I made his favorite breakfast:  French toast out of Challah with raisins!  Of course, I had to make Challah the day before.  As the picture shows, I made a double braided Challah (a 3-strand braid on each level), but I think the Breakfasttop braid slipped a bit.  Oh well.  Thor didn’t complain.  He enjoyed homemade raspberry jam on the Challah french toast and accompanying mixed fresh fruit salad.  (The orange pieces are Fuyu persimmons.)

Using the KitchenAid’s pasta attachment (thank you again, Thor!) to roll out the dough to a nice, even height, I regularly  make crackers from my white and dark rye sourdough discards.  Earlier batches of crackers used first whole wheat flour, BreadCrackersthen einkorn flour, then white whole wheat flour with the discard.  In my last couple of batches I used sprouted whole spelt flour.  Wow – a whole other level of taste.  I add dried rosemary to the dough and push them into current favorite topping – a mix of black and white sesame seeds – before putting them through the KitchenAid pasta roller.  (Definitely worth a try for those of you who make their own sourdough crackers!)

Unable to find rye chops (aka cracked rye) locally (I even contacted a local miller who said she’d never heard of it), I’ve been experimenting with making my own using my Vitamix with its dry grains container.  I made six different batches and sent them to a weaver/spinner who is also artisan baker.  We both agreed batch four looks like cracked rye (or at least will after a little sifting).  I want to make “Horst Bandel’s Black Pumpernickel” from HB_BlackPumpernickelJeffrey Hamelman’s Bread.  Here’s a picture of the bread slightly scaled down for a 9 inch Pullman pan.  (Source, Fresh Loaf)  I’m going to make a larger loaf and bake in a 13 inch Pullman pan.  I have to share with my tasters, after all!

I am VanGoghGirlWithBreadstill anxiously awaiting starting to knit again.  There’s only so many loaves of bread I can bake before my friends will start hiding when they see me pull into their driveway in my car or on my bike.  “Oh no, it’s her again with more freshly made sourdough bread!  Quick, turn out the lights!”  🙂

(Pencil sketch, Girl Carrying Loaf of Bread (1882), by Vincent Van Gogh)

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to One More Week …

1. Indeed, and it’s not always the case (sadly)!

2. Wow! So nice to have kids who love your handiwork! 🙂

3. salpal1 says:

we keep our family stocked with those, too. In fact on Christmas, everyone got big jars of spiced cranberry jelly. But no one had good bread. 🙂

4. Yes indeed … Bread IS the staff of life after all! 🙂

5. kmkat says:

Mmm, bread! I need to bake some — already have the KA and dough hook.

6. I know what you mean … Now that I live in another state, my daughter and her family are forced to turn to store-bought jams and preserves when they run out … They replenish their stash when they visit in the summer. 🙂

7. salpal1 says:

I would love the opportunity to grow tired of home baked bread! If only we lived closer to each other 3000 plus miles seems a bit much for a bike ride with bread. 🙂

8. Oh sure, that’s what you say now … But after receiving a dozen loaves of bread you would like all be hiding from me. 🙂 🙂 🙂

9. salpal1 says:

I just want to say that if your friends and neighbors hide from you when you deliver bread, feel free to pedal up my drive – it al looks delicious, and we LOVE home baked bread. 🙂 But I do hope you can be creating with wool again soon.

10. And to you and yours, Sweaty

11. Your friends and family will be thrilled. 🙂

12. I guess we really do have an addiction! 🙂 My granddaughter has asked me to knit some clothes for her American Girl Doll, and I am happy to do so – I have lots of single-skein stash yarn that will be perfect. And more projects just entered my queue: My granddaughter also asked me to knit her a purple sweater with a zipper with “soft” yarn. My grandson asked me to lengthen the arms and body of the last sweater I made him last year. (He wears it every day. I’m sort of tired of it, but then I remind myself it is not about me!)

13. Oh me too … My loom is partially warped, waiting to be put to use and my knitting projects have been patiently waiting for me to pick them up again. (Happy New Year to you and your lovely family.)

14. I use my KitchenAid for so much … It enables me to continue making bread despite my aging hands! I hope you enjoy making bread as much as I do. >

15. I’m diving into the world of those heavy vollkornbrot-type breads as soon as the Pullman pans I ordered arrive! I will email you pictures (or cries for help). >

16. Susan says:

LOVE the pencil sketch!! That be us 🙂 That is cool, a pasta roller on the KA I have used the pasta roller but a pest to get it set up. As soon as I get over my ‘plague’ I am going to sift all the rye ‘chop’ experiments you sent and make the Black Pumpernickel. Keep the hands warm and ready to GO!!!

17. Lindsey says:

I just got a kitchen aid stand mixer this Christmas and I can’t wait to try making bread with it! Thanks for the inspiration 🙂

18. Mmmm! They all look delicious! But I understand the desire to knit. I’m working on some must-do projects but am getting antsy to start knitting again, too!

19. emmazocco says:

All this bread looks so amazing! You made me want to bake some 🙂 might have to do that tomorrow

20. Hope you can knit again on cue