Crater Lake

Leaving knitting and weaving at home, Thor, Granddaughter F and I met up with the rest of the family and spent several wonderful days in Crater Lake National Park.  We were happy (oh so happy) to exchange Willamette Valley‘s muggy heat wave for the pleasant summer weather of the higher altitudes of the Cascade Range and especially enjoyed the cool nights. We never tire of the scenery; it’s always breathtaking.  Here are some photographs we took (using just our iPhones) of the lake from about 7,100f/2,164m:

On this visit we added something new:  One night drove back up to the lake’s rim, bundled up, sat at the caldera rim in chairs, marveled over the Milky Way (!) and watched the star show in the cold night air.  It was a perfect, clear night (if you didn’t mind the chilly wind), an absolutely amazing experience.

Crater Lake is one of top ten dark sky locations by the National Parks Dark Sky Team.  According to the Crater Lake Institute,

Star gazing at Crater Lake is best on nights without clouds or a full moon. On such an evening, the stars are too numerous to count. They appear so bright, that one might be tempted to lay down, and take off one’s shirt to get a “star tan.” Venus and the Milky Way appear to cast a shadow. By full moon, the light intensity is such that colors are discernible to the unaided eye.

The beauty of the night sky at Crater Lake is largely due to its isolation and the extensive amount of land surrounding the caldera that is preserved in a natural state.  Along with large tracts of wilderness comes a virtual absence of artificial lights allowing the pupil of the human eye to widen and become receptive to distant stars, some of which are thousands to millions of light years away. At Crater Lake there is no light pollution from nearby settlements and cities. There is no light pollution from night advertisement and local traffic.

At Crater Lake, the transparency of the night sky is enhanced by the summer climate. The humidity of the air and the frequency of cloud cover is low in the High Cascades of South-Central Oregon. The views of the night from the 7,000′ elevation at Rim Village are optimum because of the low density of tree cover and the unobstructed view of the horizon is all directions created by the pre-historic collapse of Mt. Mazama.

As we have neither the skills nor the equipment to photograph stars, I found this time-lapse video on YouTube (shot by gryfinryder) that will give you an idea of what we saw (sans the snow).  For some excellent pictures shot by a professional natural history photographer, take look at Phil Colla‘s work.  One of the pictures taken at Crater Lake he shares is of the Milky Way!

If you’ve not seen this brilliantly blue lake (the deepest in the U.S. and 9th deepest in the world), it’s worth a visit!

Rested and relaxed, Thor and I returned to a cooler Willamette Valley with Grandson O.  It is still too warm to comfortably knit, but my loom … 🙂

Have you taken a vacation or trip this summer where you left your fiber work behind?!

This entry was posted in Miscellany and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Crater Lake

1. Anabel Marsh says:

Thanks! The blog had a much more boring name then that came to me in a flash one day and I changed over.

2. I love the name – “Glasgow Gallivanter!”

3. Anabel Marsh says:

Thanks for visiting The Glasgow Gallivanter recently(ish). Apologies for the late reply but have been away and now have a backlog!

4. Absolutely. For now we are planning a quick visit to our West Coast National Park. Lots of wild flowers blooming all over the place at the moment and a must to see and hike. 🙂

5. Now that would have been fun … I can see it now – you bundled up and knitting socks in the starlight!

Liked by 2 people

6. kiwiyarns says:

Wow, that sounds like an amazing holiday! I would love to have been with you on the star gazing night!

7. You won’t regret it!

8. Usually I’m the same way. I think it’s been definitely lately because I’ve been weaving rugs for our new house. 🙂

9. I still feel as in awe when I see the lake as I do when I first saw it 20 years ago! I find myself standing at the rim, mouth agape!

10. Yes, I left it behind … perhaps more so because I’m in the middle of rug weaving so my knitting is taking second place right now. 🙂

11. Oh, I hope you get the opportunity to visit! It will be memorable.

12. Yes, they are. When my daughter was young, we hiked to the top of Mt. Lassen in Northern California. Even though it was in August, we were greeted with a fierce wind and snow, so we didn’t have much time to be relaxed and inspired! The path up and down, however, allowed us time (in between panting!). 🙂

13. Nope, none at all! Oh, do visit … amazing … and you’re not THAT far away! 🙂

14. I hope you get an opportunity to visit this particular gem. Yes, peace and reverence!

15. I’m sure any picture would capture at least a hint of its beauty. Every time I see the lake I’m in awe. 🙂

16. Yes, it is eye-catching, isn’t it? The lake is fed only by rain and melting snow, which keeps it so clear – that and the fact that no boats, save for Park Service boats, are allowed in the lake. Also, there’s only one (very steep, zig-zag) foot path down to the lake.

17. Wow, amazing blue.

18. 1marylou says:

You definitely captured the beauty of Crater Lake.

19. Amazingly beautiful. It is these gems from mother nature that truly brings peace to a day. So glad you enjoyed it, and thank you for sharing your gorgeous photos with us. 🙂

20. What, no car knitting?!
    I’ve never been to Crater Lake, but it’s on my bucket list.

21. The Greyt Knitter says:

Beautiful pics. Vacations with nature are so relaxing and inspirational.

22. Crafty Effie says:

Gorgeous, GORGEOUS pictures! I’ve been wanting to visit Crater Lake National Park since I was 12 but never got a chance to. I should definitely take some time off this fall or next spring to go!

23. salpal1 says:

Leave my fiber work behind? I can’t imagine it! Almost always have some knitting that would go with me, even if I barely knit a stitch!

Crater Lake looks lovely, and the star gazing sound wonderful.

24. Susan McKee-Nugent says:

Those pictures and Phil’s are stunning. What blues! Thank you for including us on your trip!

25. thetinfoilhatsociety says:

Leave the knitting behind?? Horrors! I get anxiety if I have to sit in a restaurant and wait for my food without knitting!

26. epicyarns says:

Absolutely beautiful scenery. Now on my list of places to visit 🙂