Rigby Cloth Stripping Machine

Rigby1Rigby2Buried deep in the 33 pounds of 2-inch fulled strips of wool (see my earlier post) was a Rigby Cloth Stripping Machine, Model B.  I had never seen or even heard of this gizmo before, but friends of mine had (and were both amazed at and not a little jealous of the find).  So, of course, I poked around the internet to see what I could learn about the Rigby.

The Rigby Cloth Stripping machines are clamp-on machines that cut strips used for braiding, hooking, and weaving.  It cuts a single strip from 5/8″ to 2″ wide.  The user controls the width by adjusting the cloth guide (the red lever in the bottom right hand of the above left picture).

Built in Bridgton, Maine, the Rigby Cutting Machines have long been beloved by rug braiders, puncher and hookers.  You can find them sold on sites like Etsy with prices ranging depending on both the model and the condition.  (It appears as though this Model B would sell somewhere between $100-200.)

RigbyExtraHeadModelC.jpg

Head

rigbyfingermodelh

Finger

Among the rug making supplies carried by Halcyon Yarns is the Rigby Finger (#7 Finger for the 7/32″ cutter head for the Model H and #8 Finger for the 1/4″ cutter head) and extra heads for the Rigby Model C.

According  to Makanda Moon, the Rigby is still made by J.D. Paulsen Rigby Precision Products.  Here’s its business information.

rigby4

rigby3-3Currently my Rigby is visiting my Friend E.  Friend E is an avid needlewoman (both needlework and sewing), hooks rugs and spins.  Friend E was very interested in seeing how the Rigby works.  She said it was easy to figure out and easy to use.  After clamping it to a table, Friend E experimented with some pink fulled wool strips and sent me pictures.

As I said in last week’s post, I paid $20 a a thrift shop for 33 pounds of 2-inch fulled wool strips.  What I didn’t share in that post is that the purchase also included the Rigby Cloth Stripping Machine.  Most definitely a find!

Has anyone used this machine and, if so, for what?

This entry was posted in Miscellany, Punch Needle Rug Hooking, Rug Making and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Rigby Cloth Stripping Machine

1. Linda says:

The Model B is the braiding model for cutting 2-inch strips for braiding. Other models are the H hooking model with interchangeable heads in different sizes for cutting hooking strips, the D double model with places for 2 interchangeable hooking cutter heads, and the C combined model which combines the braiding head and a spot for the interchangeable hooking heads. There! Now you know just about everything there is to know about Rigby cutter models.

2. Patricia Tondreau says:

Looking for an electric cloth cutter with 1/2 inch cut blade

3. Alan says:

I have a Rigby Model B that I got in an estate sale of rock cutting equipment. Don’t have any use for it now that I know what it is. Anyone interested? ? ? I’m open to offers for it

4. Mary Campbell says:

looking for a Rigby cloth stripper Model B. Can’t find one.

5. Reuben Fowlow says:

I’m looking for a #5 cutter for the model D Rigby cutter. My wife is a “hooker”.

6. Have fun … Are you planning on braiding, punching or weaving rugs?!

7. carrol chiles says:

I just purchased one and learning to use it today.

8. Thanks for the heads up!

9. April says:

FYI, there’s one up for bidding on shopgoodwill.com. Bidding ends 11/7/2016.

10. April says:

FYI, There’s a cutter on shopgoodwill.com, bidding end date is 11/7/2016!

11. Thanks for the info!

12. dale says:

it’s for rug hooking. the cutter should only used to cut 100% wool, the blade will be damaged if used for anything else. It is a very coveted item for rug hookers sells for about $200 but has been replaced by the more user friendly Townsend cutter over the past few years.

13. marjorie says:

Buried treasure! Delightful!

14. Did you have a Rigby – or something similar? The one I found is quite simple – well, at least according to my Friend E who’s trying it out. 🙂

15. And getting smaller every day … 🙂

16. I’m guessing it’s used mostly by rug hookers/punchers?

17. Janet says:

I did braided rugs years ago in the 1940’s. I had forgotten all about the device I had for cutting strips. It was a very simple one.

18. Susan says:

I have a friend who has one, she’s a ‘hooker’………..no pun intended!

19. salpal1 says: