In the Midst of Chaos …

… a lot of fun!

Despite the fact that we are gearing up to move a distance of several hours drive north to our new home, I am busy with fiber-related projects.  I can’t knit as all my knitting supplies are safely packed away.  However, I have been busy with another fiber-related project.  My Schacht Mighty Wolf loom now has company!

gilmoreannieI recently purchased a (previously-owned loom) loom:  8 harness, 14 treadle, with a 54″ weaving width. Can you tell its maker from the picture?

The original owner was pleased to find a good home for a loom she bought 30 years ago but hadn’t woven on for the last 17 years.  I was thrilled to find a wonderful loom that had been stored somewhere dry and smoke free for all these years at an affordable price.

I haven’t yet woven on the loom – though I gaze at it longingly and lovingly all through the days.  In addition to gearing up for our move, however, I have been cleaning and paste waxing it, checking the action and all the parts, putting in new treadle ties, removing rust from and cleaning the heddle bars, adding hundreds of heddles, installing a few parts for modifications or renovation, etc.  It’s definitely been laborious, but it’s a labor of love.  I am learning so much about this loom in the process.

All this is going on as the living room (now dominated by the new loom) of our rented condominium is filling with packed moving boxes.  Needless to say, we’re sort of wedged in!

movingtruckillbeback2We start moving into our new house soon.  I am sure you will understand that due to the demands of moving I’ll be on a short hiatus from blogging!

This entry was posted in Bulky Lopi, Rug Making, Weaving. Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to In the Midst of Chaos …

1. Thanks … I’ve packed my kitchen. Fiber stuff next!

2. Dina says:

Good luck with your move! 🙂

3. Oh I know! But I was getting sucked in. Dangerous! 😄

4. As if people like us need more fiber art addictions! 😄

5. Good luck with the move! There have been a few wool tours this past few weeks and the weaving aspect has been fascinating.

6. Yes … both the move AND the new loom. 🙂 I’m not weaving on the new loom until it’s moved into the new house, but I’m still weaving on my Mighty Wolf. 🙂

7. I can’t wait to weave on it … I’ve got just the rug project!

8. Thanks … moves are SO exhausting.

9. Thank you … I won’t be weaving on it until I set up it in the new house, but I admire it daily!

10. rhudgins says:

Good luck with your move, and have fun with the new loom.

11. The Greyt Knitter says:

Good luck with your move and settling in.

12. Susan says:

That loom will know you LOVE her and will perform beautifully 🙂

13. KerryCan says:

Great find! I recently got a new/used loom, too, and am in the same process of figuring it out and spiffing it up. I’ll be weaving on it soon. Good luck with your move!

14. Oh yes! So important. I feel that way about all my fiber related equipment!

15. Oh, I know the maker (name, serial number & date stamped in a piece), just wondering if others recognize it! 🙂 Most recently I have been working to mark every 10 heddles (makes it easier to count) with nail polish. I have close to 2,000 heddles so it’s slow going!

16. great loom! We found one recently as well and love it! Just a little TLC; and we can’t figure out its maker either . . .

17. Belinda O says:

I’m so glad that loom found a good home. Years ago my stepmom had a beautiful loom from which she made heirloom projects. Sadly, she died of cancer at the age of 67. She was fortunate to find someone dedicated to weaving who was thrilled to “inherit” her loom. When you care so very much for something, you want the next person to care as well.